Like I said in another post I love horror movies, but I also love science fiction. Before really getting into horror movies, as a child I always loved watching science fiction movies. Thinking back actually I’d say most of the movies I would watch agin and again were mostly sci-fi.
I have done a favorites list before one for slow-burn horror and another for romance movies (though its more of what I can stand to watch). Of course on many of them lean towards the mix of sci-fi/horror more than anything but I could be wrong as I write this out.
So here’s a list, in no particular order of my favorite science fiction movies and for some a reason why.
- The Thing (1982) honestly I haven’t met anyone who hasn’t seen this movie or at least heard of it. People that have seen it usually have it in their favorite list as well.
- Stargate, I don’t know how many times I watched this movie as a kid but I know if was enough to make my dad proud. He also loves sci-fi.
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 & 1978) I’ve seen the other remakes and those are fine but these two are simply the best.
- The Fly (1958 & 1986) Reason 1: Vincent Price, he’s always been one of my favorite actors. Reason 2: My introduction to body horror with the 1986 version.
- Alien & Aliens (do I really need to write out my reason I think you can guess it)
- Blade Runner, first I watched it because it is considered a classic, now I watch it because I think it is.
- Total Recall: Mars and mind alteration.
- The Fifth Element
- Event Horizon, holy crap was not expecting what happened to happen.
- Fire in the Sky (just watch it)
- The Abyss
- Star Trek 2: THe Wrath of Khan
- Minority Report
- District 9
- Battlefield Earth (yes it’s a terrible movie but I love watching it)
- The Blob
- Star Wars (original)
- War of the Worlds (1953 I didn’t really like the remake…it just bothered me)
So, yes that’s a lot for a ‘favorite’ list but at the same time, if I turn on the tv and see any of these titles playing I will probably sit and watch it all the way through.
I’m so sorry that I haven’t posted in 2 weeks. I’m in a hurricane prone area and while we haven’t been hit (yet) we flood easily. I’m fine right now but haven’t posted because there are other things that are more important than trivial ‘favorites’.